We recently posted about the proposed rules in NJ that would make it easier to develop in the coastal zone, here.
Additional opinion pieces from Bill Potter, a notable environmental lawyer in NJ here and from Bob Sandberg of the Sierra Club.
We need your help to stop this insanity! Take the time to register your comments, info below. Here are some suggested elements.
- This is a 1000 page rule proposal. Public hearings began just as the summer vacation season got underway in late June, and the written comment period ends on August 1st. This is not an appropriate amount of time for the public to digest this sweeping rule overhaul.
- The proposed coastal development rule changes do not take into account climate change, future storms, or rises in sea level along the Jersey Shore, which is a recipe for future disasters.
- The proposed coastal development rule changes do not incorporate lessons learned from the devastation to New Jersey coastal communities from Superstorm Sandy, calling for increased development in hazardous coastal areas.
- A proposed new class of permit, “permit-by-certification” is also cause for concern, as this will allow permit seekers to obtain a permit automatically through a website, without review by NJDEP staff.
Make it personal! Add your true thoughts, feelings, and experiences. We all lived through this!
To make your voice hear on this disastrous rule change please go to http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/comments/ Fill in your information (don’t worry you will not be added to any lists as a result) Where it says Select Rule-making, choose DEP Docket No. 03-14-04 Coastal Zone Management Rules and Coastal Permit Program Rules; proposed consolidation with amendments
3. Add a comment, up to 20,000 characters.